Saturday, August 15, 2009

Chicago: WEN Workshop (3)

Wednesday morning was a working morning and it was interesting to hear the sounds made by massed engravers - the sounds made by movements of gravers against wood, of wood against leather sandbags and quiet words...





I engraved a little but my mind was partly on the presentation that I was scheduled to give after lunch. I decided to walk out and enjoy Sharen and Don's lovely garden and the wildlife that it harboured:


I watched a small group of Canada Geese land on the lake...



Seeing them against the reflected light was a wonderful illustration of a point that I wanted to make - the fact that sometimes opportunities present themselves like this; sometimes we "see" the world as engravings.



A brisk and welcome walk (accompanied by ominous thunder) to Chipotle and an equally welcome burrito set me up for my presentation before the assembled engravers and guests. I spoke about my development as an engraver, my influences and the way that I work, emphasising my belief in the importance of sketchbook work. The audience listened to me kindly and patiently. I enjoyed a most pleasant afternoon meeting people.

In the evening, we ate pizza and enjoyed the first of two sessions during which members made their own presentations of work.

All in all, a most enjoyable day.


Thursday morning found us driving to Evanston and Northwestern University. First stop was the Deering Library where eyes were caught by a reconstruction of a Gutenburg Press:



Once again, we were given access to some very interesting and beautiful treasures.


I poured over a set of re-strikes from William Blake's 1821 engravings for Thornton's Virgil:


We had already seen three early proofs from these blocks at the Art Institute.

I was particularly taken by a group of blocks engraved by Eric Gill. One seldom sees these and it was interesting to see how seemingly effortlessly they were cut and cleared:



There were more Blakes on display, including a wonderfully printed re-strike from one of his largest Copper Engravings: The Canterbury Tales:


The linear work in the background is simply beautiful:


I find this figure simply breathtaking in the way that she is drawn and engraved:


Yet more Blakes - his illustrations to Dante's Inferno:


There was much to catch the eye and cause debate:


In this case it was the "make-ready" formed from layers of tissue that was used to print one of Thomas Bewick's engraved blocks:


Apart from prints and blocks, there were some well chosen books; I could have pulled up an armchair and spent the day here.


We walked from The Deering Library to the Block Museum where we had the opportunity to examine some extremely fine engravings. I was pleased to have this session which was dedicated almost exclusively to American engravers.




We enjoyed lunch in the cafeteria and then walked to Bookman's Alley. This is a most marvellous bookshop and the hour we spent there was as pleasant as any during the week:






In the evening we enjoyed lovely food at a local restaurant befor returning to Kildeer for coffee, desserts and more member presentations. This was a most convivial evening. Carl played his concertina and farewells were said as some members would not join us for the final day.

I was given a very beautiful book:


A 1947 facimile of William Blake's "America A Prophecy"


I could not have received a more well chosen, appropriate gift and memento of my visit; it is a lovely addition to my own Blake collection that sits above me as I type:


To be continued...

5 comments:

Annie B said...

Such a treasure-filled and meaningful trip! I especially love seeing the photos from the Deering Library, the blocks by Gill, the Blake prints.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful trip! I too would love to peruse all those old blocks and the prints, one can learn so much. Thank you for sharing these. :-)

Celia Hart said...

Looks like that wa a trip packed full of pleasures.

The Gill blocks are so exquisite!

Celia

Diane Cutter said...

Once again, thanks for sharing your trip with us. I am envious of the opportunity to view all those engravings so closely and admire the group's restraint, keeping fingers and noses at a proper distance.

Unknown said...

I am so glad that your trip to Chicago was pleasant and successful. It is my home town and it is an exciting place. I spent a year as a visiting fellow at Cambridge and came to love your home area and your engravings of beloved Ely. I enjoy one of your prints purchased through eBay (?) or directly from you. By the way, your photos are perfect starts for your particular style of print, which I very much like. I hope you will make a "Chicago Series" from these beautiful photographs.

John M. McCullough