Wednesday, October 31, 2007

25 Bookplates: Dedication

My book is dedicated to Brian North Lee (1936-2007). Many readers will be familiar with his books; others can find out about this remarkable man from an obituary.

Brian was the first person to write seriously about my bookplates in "Contemporary International Ex-Libris Artists Volume 3", Portugal 2004. He encouraged me to work to improve my lettering which is still the subject of much of my effort. I was gathering together a group of recent work to send to him when I heard about his death. I regret not being able to show him the fruits of my labours.

I had already engraved the lettering on the block but was not sure how to finish the image so I let the block sit on the shelf above my computer for a couple of weeks. In the end, I decided to engrave a single lily, sweeping round under the lettering and emerging from the frame.





Here is the final result as it is printed in "25 Bookplates":

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's lovely, Andy. So apt.

Pietrocelli said...

yes well done title piece, thanks

Planet Janet said...

It's a beautiful and appropriate engraving. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Alyssa Thomas said...

Your bookplate project looks like it's just going to be gorgeous when it's complete. I'm so happy that I found your blog. I'm very interested in woodcut printing but I've never done it before. It's really great to see your process.