Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Venus and Adonis

Sunday was spent at the Oxford Fine Press Fair. This was my first opportunity to see "Venus and Adonis" finished. Even as I arrived, I was met with praise and congratulations for the engravings. It turned out that for, this book, Barbarian Press had been shortlisted for the Gregynog Prize, to be " awarded to the FPBA member who, in the opinion of the judges, has produced the finest book using traditional letterpress techniques in the period since the last Oxford Fine Press Book Fair".

When I finally saw the book, I was blown away. The design, printing and binding are all superb. I felt so honoured to be involved in the project. I particularly like the calligraphy that Crispin commissioned for the book. I have posted some photographs below so that you can get a flavour of the book. Click on any of the images to enlarge it. It will soon be available from the Barbarian Press website and through dealers on abebooks.com.

I really enjoyed the fair, catching up with lots of old friends and meeting new ones; it was particularly enjoyable to meet the engraver Abigail Rorer.

1 comment:

Annie B said...

Oh Andy, these illustrations are gorgeous! The book is gorgeous too, you're right. The calligraphy, the layout. I can imagine the feel of the paper. Just stunning. Congratulations.