I ended my last blog post with a photograph of my new set of exhibition frames. Having splashed out on them, I decided that I ought to upgrade my framing kit and do a really good job so that everything looks as good as can be.
As it happens, I bought myself a new mountboard cutting kit during my last demonstrating session at Art In Action but had never used it - I hadn't even unpacked it. I had been impressed by the demonstration I had been given and decided that it was time to break it out and use it.
I'm very pleased that I did because the system was easy to use and cut the most neat and accurate corners that I have ever managed. I am really pleased with the results I achieved after a very few practices. It is a FrameCo Matte Master System 660b.
Years ago, I used "Hang Its" on my smaller framed work. I finally found a source and bought a tub. They simply tap onto the backboard to give an easy to use flush finish:
From the same source, I decided to buy a point driver. I have always used pins and a hammer in the past but this method is faster, neater and - finally - the days of managing to nail my thumb to a frame are over:
The other change that I have made is to use a fine plastic covered wire that is held firmly by ferrules that are simply crimped. No more knotting:
All of these framing sundries were purchased from www.lionpic.co.uk and I am very pleased with the results I have achieved. Here is "Lily Of The Valley, Nimes" in its new ash frame.
It is a co-incidence that I was reminded of Art In Action because - at short notice - I am demonstrating there again. It is a Waterperry, Oxford from Thursday July 15th until Sunday 18th. All details are available from the website. I do hope to see some of you there - do come along to the drawing/Printmaking tent and say "Hello".
You can see memories of my last two visits to Art In Action here and here.